We are now in the forth section of the blueprint , this section is the availability part and in the following posts we are going to discuss how we Implement and Maintain Complex vSphere Availability Solutions
We are going to discuss the following objective from the blueprint :
- Configure a HA cluster to meet resource and availability requirements
- Configure HA redundancy settings:
- Management network
- Datastore heartbeat
- Network partitions
- Configure custom isolation response settings
- Configure VM Component Protection (VMCP)
- Configure HA related alarms and analyze a HA cluster
- Configure VMware Fault Tolerance for single and multi-vCPU virtual machines
Using VMware workstation:
- Microsoft Servers 2012R2 for Services (DNS , DHCP, etc…)
- Installed esx0
- Installed esx1
- Installed VCSA
- vSphere 6.0 Availability Guide
- VMware KB 1004700
Configure a HA cluster to meet resource and availability requirements:
For this task I reconfigure my lab to use only two ESXi hosts not clustered yet and one shared storage that both hosts can access.
Now lets create a cluster and enabled HA (we are going to leave the default settings at this point)
And now lets add the hosts to the cluster just drag the hosts and drop them in the cluster object.
Now we getting some warning error and thats the next subject in the blueprint (so lets fix it)
Configure HA redundancy settings:
When a management network failure occurs for a vSphere HA cluster, a subset of the cluster’s hosts might be unable to communicate over the management network with the other hosts. Multiple partitions can occur in a cluster. A partitioned cluster leads to degraded virtual machine protection and cluster management functionality.
Datastore heartbeat and Management network:
to avoid Network parition we need to configure heartbeat and a redunand mgmt network Let configure datastore heartbeat , in the HA settings click on datastore for heartbeating and choose two datastores
as for the second error “Host currently has no management network redundancy” you will need to configure the mgmt network to use NIC teaming for redundancy but even after its configured you still get the error message so I look at VMware KB 1004700 and its state ” If the warning continues to appear, disable and re-enable VMware High Availability in the cluster.” so i did disable and re-enable and problem solved.
Set the NIC teaming to Default load balancing = route based on originating port ID n Failback = No
Configure custom isolation response settings:
In case we getting into a host isolation issues we can configure host isolation response.
Configure VM Component Protection (VMCP):
When you enabled VM Component Protection (VMCP), vSphere HA can detect datastore accessibility failures and provide automated recovery for affected virtual machines.
Type of failures :
- PDL:(Permanent Device Loss) is an unrecoverable loss of accessibility to the storage device. This condition cannot be reverted without powering off virtual machines.
- APD (All Paths Down) represents a transient or unknown accessibility loss or any other unidentified delay in I/O processing. This type of accessibility issue is recoverable.
To configure VMCP you must enable “Protect against Storage Connectivity Loss” option in the HA settings and than you can configure APD/PDL
Configure HA related alarms and analyze a HA cluster:
We can configure alarms in vCenter to notify us on HA related issues and have a email sent to us when it happens.
Several default vSphere HA alarms are available.
- Insufficient failover resources (a cluster alarm)
- Cannot find master (a cluster alarm)
- Failover in progress (a cluster alarm)
- Host HA status (a host alarm)
- VM monitoring error (a virtual machine alarm)
- VM monitoring action (a virtual machine alarm)
- Failover failed (a virtual machine alarm)
To monitor issues with HA clusters click on the cluster >> monitor >> issues
Configure VMware Fault Tolerance for single and multi-vCPU virtual machines:
Before you enable FT you will need to configure on each host two different networking switches (vMotion and FT logging)
VMkernel View on each host:
To enable VM for FT: right click on the VM>>FT>>Turn on FT
Select the datastore
Select the host
Thanks for reading